Monday, August 31, 2009

Web Design and Hosting in Kenya

I initially developed my first website 5 years ago when i was still a students at Kenyatta University, as a course work project. My lecturer was so impressed in the project that he advised me to host it and make it global. This website had nice features and had been designed using latest web design and programming languages. I then started looking for a good and cheap hosting company because my budget was quite limited. Actually, i was relying on pocket money. Getting a domain name and a reliable host was the hardest thing since most companies required one to have a credit card so as to register a domain name and buy web space.
I tried some web hosting companies in Kenya but most of them were very expensive and the affordable ones were only offering Linux Web Hosting and my website was built on Windows platform.
After many days of searching online, i finally landed on a company that offered what i needed: Affordable web hosting, domain name registration and also flexible mode of payment. I chose to pay using western union money transfer and in two days my website was up and running.
I learnt that web hosting companies in Kenya still have a long way to go.
Luckily, the arrival of fiber optic cable in Kenya will definitely change things and make web hosting cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment